SAROJINI REHABILITATION CENTRE FOR WOMEN(SWADHAR)
Vidyaranya Rehabilitation center for women has been focusing on empowerment of oppressed women.We have been running two rehabilitation centers for Women namely ‘Sarojini’” under Swadhar scheme. Swadhar is central government’s scheme sponsored by Ministry of Women and Child Development, New Delhi.
The following shall be the objectives of the project;
- To provide primary need of shelter, food, clothing and care to the marginalized women/girls living in difficult circumstances who are without any social and economic support;
- To provide emotional support and counseling to such women;
- To rehabilitate them socially and economically through education, awareness, skill up gradation and personality development through behavioral training etc.;
- To arrange for specific clinical, legal and other support for women/girls in need of those intervention by linking and networking with other organizations in both Govt. & Non-Govt. sector on case to case basis;
- To provide for help line or other facilities to such women in distress; and
- To provide such other services as will be required for the support and rehabilitation to such women in distress.
The following shall be the target group beneficiaries of the project
- Widows deserted by their families and relatives and left uncared near religious places where they are victims of exploitation;
- Women survivors of natural disaster who have been rendered homeless and are without any social and economic support;
- Trafficked women/girls rescued or runaway from brothels or other places or women/girl victims of sexual crimes who are disowned by family or who do not want to go back to respective family for various reasons;
- Mentally challenged women (except for the psychotic categories who require care in specialized environment in mental hospitals) who are without any support of family or relatives.
Location of the project
These centers are located at Ward No.2, Chennigaraya Extension, Channarayapattana, Hassan District. There are 50 women and 28 children in this centre.
Free boarding, lodging and medical facilities are provided to the inmates of these homes. These homes are furnished with all the required facilities including television and VCD. Prarthanas are being organized regularly. The children of the inmates are also taken care in all aspects by our centres.
In addition to this, the inmates are being trained on Mat making, Home Nurse, Tailoring and English Spoken Course to become self-dependent. Many women those who are trained in our centres are helped to get jobs in different private industries and factories. Now they are independent and taking care of themselves.
Monitoring at the State Level
The Secretary, Department of Women & Child Development is the chairperson of the State Level Monitoring Committee for Swadhar Scheme. The other members of the committee would be nominated by the Secretary. The Committee at the State Level is meeting once a year and monitor the project.
Monitoring at District Level
The functioning of the Swadhar Centre where residential facility for the inmates is being monitored by a District Level Committee comprising of the following:
- District Magistrate (Chairperson)
- District Superintendent of Police
- President/Secretary/Executive Head of the Implementing Organisation
- Lady Principal of College/Head Mistress of Girls School.
- One senior lady doctor to be nominated by Chief Medical Officer
- General Manager District Industries Centre
- One socially active woman of the area to be nominated by the District Magistrate Women representative of Panchayat/urban local bodies.
- District Welfare Officer (Convener)
Evaluation of the project
The project is being reviewed every 2 years.
Review of the Project
The sanctioned project is being reviewed after 2 years of implementation. Further continuation of the projects is decided on the basis of the review.